Please call our post-donation callback line at (650) 725-9968 immediately if you:
- feel that your blood should not be given to a patient;
- are not sure that your blood is safe
- develop a fever within 24 hours after donating;
- have any illness within two (2) weeks of your donation; or
- are diagnosed by a physician as having West Nile, dengue, chikungunya, Zika, or Ebola virus Infection.
Taking care of yourself after donating blood
- Always be sure to drink plenty of water to rehydrate.
- Sit down or lie down if you feel lightheaded or dizzy; Call our post-donation callback line at (650) 725-9968 if you feel unwell.
- Rest and replenish iron. We recommend you take an iron supplement and/or eat foods rich in iron combined with a source of vitamin C after your donation. Visit our Iron and Blood Donation page for more information.
- Drink alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours after donating.
- Remove your bandage for several hours; Keep your bandage clean and dry.
- Perform vigorous exercise or heavy lifting for at least 24 hours after donating.