Stanford Blood Center is seeking a Supervisor for the Pre-Analytical/Processing staff in the Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics labs (HLA Lab). The Pre-Analytic Processing Supervisor will oversee the section of the HLA lab where clinical samples are accepted, logged in, processed for testing and prepared for storage. They will supervise the 12-14 technicians across two laboratories who carry out these jobs, manage space and equipment, maintain detailed records for laboratory accreditation and monitor service metrics.
- Supervise 12-14 lab technicians and lab assistant(s) performing sample processing and lab maintenance for the HLA Molecular and Serology laboratories; select, train and evaluate staff; create work schedules and assign work duties on a weekly basis; understand and implement overall lab priorities and adjust processing staff and workflow to meet those priorities; adjust to unexpected changes in work demands to meet timetables; and participate in C-I-CARE activities and meet C-I-CARE requirements.
- Maintain all lab equipment in pre-amplification labs in good working order; schedule and oversee preventive maintenance visits when due and maintain records of all maintenance; perform regular maintenance and make minor and mid-level repairs or call service technician for major problems; review function check logs and problem logs regularly; escalate equipment problems as needed; research and make recommendations for equipment purchases.
- Coordinate the schedule for automation robotics and instrument parallel testing, calibrations and validation of reagents used for processing; ensure tests are completed and documented.
* Other duties may also be assigned.
Four-year college degree in biology, chemistry or related field; and three years’ experience in a clinical laboratory required (five years desired)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Intimate familiarity with operation of a clinical laboratory, including procedures and workflow for sample acceptability, accessioning, processing and storage for clinical samples; experience with creating work schedules and with maintaining laboratory records required for clinical lab accreditation requirements; knowledge of equipment and instrument functional requirements and ability to perform mid-level troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Must be able to work well with a highly diverse staff and must be able to communicate effectively in spoken and written English.
Certifications and License
None required; ABHI certification as Histocompatibility Technologist or Specialist, or California State clinical laboratory license (MTA or MTR), preferred.
For more information and to apply, visit stanfordhealthcarecareers.com/ and refer to job #54128.